This is one of the easiest places to insulate in your home. It’s also the place where insulation has its greatest impact in keeping the heat in during winter and keeping the heat out in summer.
|1. Install batts from below, pressing into position between joists. For additional insulation lay batts across the top of the joists. |
When no insulation is present:
- Install COMFORTBATT® between joists.
- Level existing insulation to top of joist.
- Lay COMFORTBATT® on top of joists in opposite direction.
- Ensure batts are butted against each other tightly.
- Fit batts closely to cross members; cut batt if necessary;leave no space between layers.
- Insulate attic hatch to same level as rest of attic. Apply weatherstripping to edge to reduce air leakage.
- Only insulate close to IC rated electrical fixtures. Maintain 3-inch distance from others.
- Follow manufacturer instructions and local building code to insulate around chimney.
|1. For additional insulation, lay a second layer of insulation perpendicular to the first layer. |
For existing, but insufficient insulation: